Thursday, October 7, 2010

type experiments!!



Here i was working with the initial idea i had about circling the text and drawing connecting lines. I also tried with the dotted lines but i feel its too busy. Even with dots it still distracted from the text.




These are experiments with the placement of the time related words within the sonnet. I then visualised this as a series of circles. Not sure what im totally doing with these, but im looking for a way to visually communicate the time related words within each sonnet and to also evoke a sense of time, cycles. I also still like the idea of old astronomy maps.




These are also more experiments with visually representing the time related words within each Sonnet. The first 3 I didnt really find very appealing. The next 2 I connected the words with lines to a consistent point and then from this spray of lines i formed a circle. As shown, the more time related words present in the Sonnet, the more complex the circle.

The last part of my experiments I found to be the most visually appealing. I created each Sonnet's own constellation. I tried initially with placing dots above relevant words, then connecting them in one strand. I then took each strand and placed it into a circle. In the second part I connected each dot to form a closed shape and then placed these in a circle. Hence forming their own constellations.

2 comments:

  1. As my Grandpa used to say: Now we're cooking with gas! (He was from war-torn Europe).

    These are looking great, I love them. I need to see them bigger, but the line widths may be a bit thick – have you tried a 0.25 or 0.5 line? Or colour? Could you use tiny clocks instead of dots? Could you sew the lines in? I want to see more of these! Maybe you need one for every sonnet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I don't know what's happening with the middles ones either, but I really like them.

    ReplyDelete