Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Brainstorming for Sonnet {62}

While flowers are busy being pressed, I've started brainstorming for Sonnet {62}:



Sin of self-love possesseth all mine eye
And all my soul and all my every part;
And for this sin there is no remedy,
It is so grounded inward in my heart.
Methinks no face so gracious is as mine,
No shape so true, no truth of such account;
And for myself mine own worth do define,
As I all other in all worths surmount.
But when my glass shows me myself indeed,
Beated and chopp'd with tann'd antiquity,
Mine own self-love quite contrary I read;
Self so self-loving were iniquity.
   'Tis thee, myself, that for myself I praise,
   Painting my age with beauty of thy days.



I've been thinking about suggestions of designing each assemblage in a certain 'period' or artistic style, in order to create a visual and conceptually associated framework and also to reinforce the numerous readings one can have to each Sonnet.

So the above Sonnet {62}, conjured up images of 18th Century France, a time of indulgence.  The 'speaker' or narrator or writer of the Sonnet seems self indulgent, vain and narcissistic, i immediately drew parallels to this time period. This time in France, the upper class were drowning in wealth and good and riches. Fashion was a huge part of the time, with beautiful silks and cottons. The men and women of the day would wear nothing but the finest and most elaborate costumes. Think Dangerous Liaisons, Marie Antoinette, minus those devious converse. 

My brainstorming has led me to this era being the 'stage' for Sonnet {62}. There is also an air of humour within the Sonnet, which I think works well with this elite French ideal of the time. Please note that while these Lords and Ladies, Barons and Baronesses  were fluffing about, having their dress hoops squeezed through double doorways, the rest of the country was starving. This age of utter social blindness and cultural overconsumption (while definitely despicable behaviour) has a humour to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment