Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bard Box Blog Begin!!

Inspired by Joseph Cornell's 'assemblages', my project is a visual interpretation of 9 of Shakespeare's Sonnets. My aim is to design a different way or medium through which to explore the Sonnets. Some find Shakespearean language difficult to understand, whether read or spoken, therefore my project creates an opportunity to people to engage with Shakespeare visually.


Although we all tend to study Shakespeare at school as a text, it is meant to be viewed or performed. The language is performative, the meter is to be spoken, his works are 'speech-acts'. This notion of the 'spectacle' I am aiming to maintain. My project will endeavour to create sets or stages for individual interpretations of the Sonnets.


Hopefully my visual interpretation will reinforce the timelessness of shakespearean texts and allow people a greater understanding and easier access to the ideas explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment